CIA Faces Lawsuit for Alleged Coverup of Scientist’s Death in 1953

November 29, 2012

After a CIA bioweapons scientist fell from the 13th floor of New York’s Statler Hotel at 2:30 a.m. in 1953, an official report called the death a suicide. But not everyone is so sure.

Two sons of the scientist, Frank Olson, filed a lawsuit in Washington yesterday claiming that the CIA murdered their father. Two subsequent investigations into the incident have failed to clear the muddy waters—at least to those outside the Agency—and the sons are now looking for answers to questions they say have gone unanswered for too long.

The trouble seems to have started in Europe when Olson toured biological weapons facilities. He’d been working for the CIA for about three years at that point, and in Europe he witnessed “extreme interrogations in which the CIA committed murder using biological agents that Dr. Olson had developed,” reports the San Francisco Chronicle of the lawsuit filed this week.

Apparently, Olson was affected by what he saw. And not in a good way—in a way that worried the CIA that Olson was a security threat.

Five days before Olson’s death, the CIA treated him to dinner with an LSD-laced bottle of Cointreau. The day before his death, Olson told his superiors that he was considering resigning. The Agency took him to an allergist who prescribed sedatives. Olson and another CIA man checked into New York’s Statler Hotel that night.

At 2:30 a.m. Olson fell 13 floors to his death.

For the sons, Eric and Nils Olson, this is troubling. Mostly because the death of their father more or less matches assassination techniques described in Agency manuals—drug the target, hit him in the temple with something hard, and throw him out a window so he falls at least 75 feet onto a hard surface.

At Olson’s funeral in 1953, a closed casket concealed the body. But when the sons exhumed Olson’s body in 1994, a hematoma was found on the left temple. Now the sons want answers.

Via the San Francisco Chronicle.

Will Grant

The post CIA Faces Lawsuit for Alleged Coverup of Scientist’s Death in 1953 appeared first on Dangerous Magazine.

Leave a comment

Comments will be approved before showing up.

Also in Dangerous Magazine

General Dostum and 12 Strong: THE LEGEND OF HEAVY D AND THE BOYS

January 20, 2018

This article on ODA 595, General Dostum, John Walker Lindh and the battle at Qali-i-Jangi was originally published in the March 2002 edition of National Geographic Adventure THE LEGEND OF HEAVY AND THE BOYS  By Robert Young Pelton The Regulators flew in from Uzbekistan at night on a blacked-out Chinook helicopter. They landed near a mud-walled compound in the remote Darra-e Suf valley in northern Afghanistan. As they began unloading their gear, they were met by Afghans in turbans, their faces...

The post General Dostum and 12 Strong: THE LEGEND OF HEAVY D AND THE BOYS appeared first on Dangerous Magazine.

Read More

Finding Bergdahl – The Final Chapter

October 22, 2017

In the fifth and final chapter of this saga we go deep inside the back room negotiations to release Bergdahl and the controversy that would await him after his release. by Robert Young Pelton By late 2013 Bowe Bergdahl had been a prisoner of the Haqqani’s in Pakistan for almost half a decade. According to Bergdahl’s account,  he fought back , he refused to convert, refused to eat cooked food (an insult to Pashtuns) and he refused to bathe. He escaped...

The post Finding Bergdahl – The Final Chapter appeared first on Dangerous Magazine.

Read More

Down The Gambia Part One

April 14, 2013

By Will Grant Originally posted on November 10, 2012. In a remote corner of West Africa, the River Gambia remains one of the last major undammed rivers on the continent. Flowing from a small rivulet in the Guinean highlands, known as the Fouta Djallon, the river runs northwest and west for 733 miles to its mouth at the Atlantic Ocean—a six-mile-wide estuary of mangroves, sand bars, and braided streams. In what may be the first source-to-sea descent of the river,...

The post Down The Gambia Part One appeared first on Dangerous Magazine.

Read More